Thursday, July 9, 2009

OIL PAINTING SURFACE

Painted with my friend AM and just worked on a masonite board that I sanded down slightly because I have used it previously. Previously painted surfaces are very nice to paint on. While I was painting AM saw some of the previous painting and the texture it left behind. And her comment? Leave the nice stuff that's already there and add the rest of your composition without throwing away everything - sometimes leave a whole piece like in a outline or silhouetted background. She also suggested that one can scrape/sand down again and get a nice overall effect that is very different especially on smaller boards. I am still busy with it but a textured surface like that is very nice to work on - the feel is better than canvass or newly prepared boards

1 comment:

  1. It is a pleasure. It is some time ago but I constantly do it if a painting does not work or does not sell. Alternatively I also put a painting aside and add more paint to it from left-over paint until it works! One particular painting took me three to four years to complete but it sold quickly!

    ReplyDelete